Nasdaq CSD is a Central Securities Depository (CSD) with a business presence in Estonia, Iceland, Latvia and Lithuania.
Nasdaq CSD provides a post-trade infrastructure and a wide range of securities services for Estonian, Icelandic, Latvian and Lithuanian markets.
Nasdaq CSD was established through the merger of the Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian central securities depositories in 2017 in order to leverage service offering in the changing CSD landscape in Europe.
To further offering Nasdaq CSD Iceland merged with Nasdaq CSD in May 2020 creating a bigger and more robust CSD.
Nasdaq CSD SE (Societas Europaea) is licensed under the European Central Securities Depositories Regulation (CSDR). Nasdaq CSD is powered by modern straight-through processing (STP) technology in a solution connected to the pan-European TARGET2-Securities (T2S) platform.
Nasdaq CSD acts as:
- a CSD authorized by the Latvian Financial and Capital Market Commission to provide CSD services in Latvia under CSDR, and in Estonia, Iceland and Lithuania via its Estonian, Icelandic and Lithuanian branches operating under supervision by local regulatory authorities also acting as the registrar of the Estonian Central Register of Securities via its Estonian branch;
- the operator of the Estonian securities settlement system, which is governed by Estonian law and notified to the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive;
- the operator of the Icelandic securities settlement system, which is governed by Icelandic law and notified to ESMA in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive; and
- the operator of the Latvian securities settlement system, which is governed by Latvian law and notified to ESMA in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive; and
- the operator of the Lithuanian securities settlement system, which is governed by Lithuanian law and notified to ESMA in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive.
Nasdaq CSD operates reliable, effective, low-risk and efficient securities settlement systems. Nasdaq CSD has clear and transparent operating rules and procedures in place which allow its participants to manage the risks they face in operating and using any settlement system. Nasdaq CSD is owned by Nasdaq Inc. a global technology company serving the capital markets and other industries with a diverse offering of trade and post-trade services; data, analytics, software and more.